Why Self-Storage Is Important When You Are An Online Retailer In Edinburgh
With Edinburgh being one of the UK’s economic giants, it is no surprise that many businesses, whether they be SME or multinational corporations, have chosen to establish and thrive here. In 2018 alone, Edinburgh showed a record of having at least 50,000 businesses operating in the city! Online retail companies, in particular, have seen an increase in popularity in Edinburgh, just as it has everywhere else in the world.
Suppose you are an online retailer in Edinburgh. In that case, you should know that running this particular business type from your home or small office can be pretty challenging and sometimes even limiting. Fortunately, though, a self-storage unit in the city of Edinburgh may be the thing you need to make sure your business operation is as smooth as possible.
Are you thinking of opening an online store? Check this out!
What Is A Storage Unit Typically Used For?
When you say “storage unit,” most people think of a place where unused appliances and old furniture are brought and kept. However, you will be surprised to know that using a storage unit for this purpose is only the tip of the iceberg.
Storage units are also used as an alternative garage for recreational vehicles, wine and spirits cellar, a personal gym or workshop, an office, and most importantly, an inventory and dispatch center for your business or online store.
3 Reasons Why A Self Storage Unit In Edinburgh Is Beneficial When You Have An Online Retail Business
To help convince you of the fact, here is a list of reasons why you should consider renting a self-storage facility in Edinburgh when you are operating an online retail store from the city:
You’ll Have A Cheap, Secure, and Dedicated Space For Your Products
You may also be thinking, “But wouldn’t renting a self-storage unit be an unnecessary expense? I can always keep my inventory in the existing space that I have.” Not exactly.
The appeal of online retail lies in the fact that you do not need a brick-and-mortar store to operate and gain profit. This, in turn, means you will not need a large capital to start operating. However, because you still need space for your stocks, you will have to choose between the following options:
- Sacrifice whatever limited space you have in your home or office to make room for your stocks. Leaving your inventory out in the open or stuffing them within a cramped space may lead to losses and costly damages.
- Lease out a larger house or office space to accommodate your stocks. Unfortunately, doing this may set you back a few thousand pounds at the very least, thus defeating the purpose of choosing a business model which requires little capital.
- Store your stocks in a garage or shed where they can get ruined or damaged.
All these options will result in a great deal of money spent or wasted. However, by renting out a self-storage unit, you effectively resolve your issues almost all at once. Here’s how:
- Because there is a dedicated space for your stocks or inventory, there will be less risk of them getting lost or damaged.
- Self-storage units are always kept clean and well-maintained. That means there will be no need for you to worry about your stocks getting exposed to extreme temperatures, moisture, and even vermin infestations.
- On top of the rent you are paying for your current home or office, a storage unit will almost definitely be less expensive than renting a larger space.
Additional Peace Of Mind
Aside from the financial advantages brought about by renting a self-storage unit, you will also have some peace of mind. After all, self-storage facilities are equipped with state-of-the-art security systems, round-the-clock CCTV coverage, and top-caliber perimeter security. Additionally, most storage facilities also have reliable staff members and trustworthy security personnel present on-site. With all these in place, you can rest assured that your stocks are all safe and secure.
Storage Facilities Offer Flexibility and Convenience
Because self-storage facilities offer convenient and flexible lease contracts, it is much easier for you to upsize or downsize your self-storage unit based on your current requirements. For example, you may choose to move to a smaller unit during the off-season or if you have fewer items in stock. Conversely, you may easily upgrade to a larger unit if you have more items to store or once peak season rolls around.
If you’ve been convinced and are considering renting out a storage unit for your online retail store based in Edinburgh, do not forget to check out at least three storage units! By doing so, you will check and ensure that you are getting the best storage deals possible!
Meanwhile, you may refer to this guide for more tips on protecting your stock during storage and Transit.