In the latest edition of BadAss Marketing, Mike and Angela discussed the importance of community building in marketing. They emphasized building a community of loyal clients, referral partnerships, and raving fans. They also highlighted the challenges of navigating the noise online and the benefits of in-person networking events for making meaningful connections. They stressed the role of community building in boosting a brand and driving business success.
The Importance of Community Building in Marketing
The importance of storytelling and listening in building connections was also discussed. Personal stories were seen as powerful tools for building relationships and understanding values. Listening without an agenda was also emphasized, as it allows people to understand each other’s problems and provide meaningful solutions. By doing so, people can form connections and help each other more meaningfully.
We also discussed the key elements of their community-building strategy, including multiple touchpoints such as videos, Instagram, local search, and a weekly newsletter. They emphasized the importance of in-person experiences and allowed customers to choose the best medium. They also discussed how they build a community around their product by providing education and feedback opportunities and gathering feedback through comments and testimonials. Overall, they stressed the importance of building a strong and engaged community through education, feedback, and conversation.
Mike and Angela talk about the pain points that community building can address, such as the isolation caused by the pandemic and the need for validation and camaraderie. They also discuss the challenges of breaking through the noise online and the benefits of in-person networking events for building a community.
Challenges of Working Alone and the Importance of Structure
Mike Doherty shares his experience of moving to a new city and working on Chicago hours, which meant most of his work was back in Chicago. He found working alone challenging and not speaking with humans in person regularly. Angela Dunz agrees and adds that going to the office provides a structure that is missing when working from home, and it’s nice to have a certain structure when attending events in person.
Building Communities Online and Offline
Mike and Angela discuss the importance of building communities online and offline for marketing purposes. They emphasize the need to know your community’s habits, channels, and needs to start building a community. They also discuss the importance of occasionally meeting in person to provide a different experience and the opportunity to take it offline. They also discuss the importance of sharing stories and getting to know people one-on-one to build a network.
The Importance of Storytelling and Listening in Building Connections
Angela Dunz and Mike Doherty discuss the power of storytelling and listening in building connections. They stress the importance of personal stories, understanding values, and listening without an agenda. By doing so, they believe that people can form real connections and provide meaningful solutions to each other’s problems.
Importance of Matching Personalities and Solutions
Mike and Angela share their experiences with networking and how they have learned to recognize when a potential business relationship may not work out. They stress the importance of liking and trusting someone to refer them and acknowledge that not everyone will fit into their network.
The Importance of Storytelling in Marketing
Angela and Mike discuss how storytelling can convey potential clients’ feelings and experiences, making it easier for others to recognize themselves and seek solutions. They also highlight the importance of understanding the language and mindset of clients when building user personas and crafting marketing messages.
Defining Hero Products and the Importance of Education in Tequila Tasting
Angela Dunz and Mike Doherty discuss the importance of Hero Products and education in community building. Mike explains that at SF Tequila Shop, the company’s Hero product is the educational component they bring to new clients who are new to the product and want to understand the production process and different flavor profiles. They also discuss the importance of understanding clients’ preferences and guiding them toward a tequila that suits their taste.
Community Building and Touchpoints
Mike and Angela discuss the importance of community building and the various touchpoints they use to stay connected with their audience. They emphasize the value of in-person experiences and allow customers to choose the best medium.
Building a Community Through Education and Feedback
Mike and Angela discuss building a community around their product by providing education and feedback opportunities. They explain how they help customers explore their products and understand their preferences and how they gather feedback through comments and testimonials. They also discuss the importance of educating customers through various channels, such as social media and YouTube, and how they use these channels to fuel interesting conversations in the community.
Building Trust and Effortless Transactions
Mike and Angela use the example of their tequila business to illustrate the importance of user experience and building trust with customers. They emphasize the need for clear communication, transparency, and making transactions effortless to ensure customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Community building is essential in marketing, allowing businesses to cultivate loyal clients, referral partnerships, and raving fans.
- The art of storytelling and the skill of active listening are powerful tools for establishing connections and understanding the values and needs of your community.
- In-person networking events and interactions can complement online platforms to foster strong community relationships.
- Using various touchpoints like videos, social media, local searches, and newsletters can help maintain engagement and interaction within your community.
- Community building revolves around education, feedback, and consistent conversation, and it is a key driver of brand growth and business success.
- Implement a strategy to incorporate storytelling in your marketing efforts.
- Improve active listening skills to understand your community’s needs and concerns better.
- Explore various platforms to keep your community engaged and connected.
- Aim to provide educational content and opportunities for feedback within your community.
- Plan and attend in-person events to build stronger relationships with your community.
- Evaluate your community-building strategies regularly to ensure they are effective and meaningful.
Questions to Consider:
- What kind of stories resonate with your community?
- How can storytelling be leveraged to deliver your marketing message effectively?
- How crucial is the in-person experience in your product/service offering?
- What are the key elements in building a thriving community?
- How can you gather and utilize feedback effectively to enhance your community-building efforts?