Feature Photo Credit: Mohamed Hassan
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques are always changing to keep up with Google algorithm updates and other search engine adaptations. Business owners need to keep up to their website continues to get recognized on the online landscape. However, there are some common SEO mistakes people make, especially if they don’t engage the services of Internet marketing experts.
Do you know the different Google algorithms?
(If not, you might need some SEO assistance):
- Penguin and Panda – fight link spamming and poor quality content
- Pigeon – focused on local results
- RankBrain – a new machine learning technology designed to strengthen the Google algorithm’s accuracy
Every year, Google has more than 2 trillion searches. SEO helps to establish a balance between user-centric content and showing search engine crawlers that the content is authoritative and relevant to readers.
With millions of blogs and articles created, published, and promoted online, more people are looking for answers on the Internet. This makes the competition among businesses even fiercer as they compete for attention among the same target audience. If you require assistance in the U.S. or the Great White North, Local SEO Search provides the best local SEO services in Canada. Strategic, quality SEO is an effective weapon to provide the answers your audience seeks.
Establish Internet Marketing Strategies
There are many strategies to amp up your campaign. However, to get the clicks and conversions you want for your businesses, you must help search engines provide results that are relevant to your readers.
Some SEO practices are proven to be effective in increasing your rankings on results pages. Others can be harmful and drag your pages down the search engine ladder. Search engines are unpredictable; website operators must test their optimization strategies before implementing them.
Take steps to avoid these SEO mistakes:
- Wrong Keywords – Optimizing keywords helps your business become more visible to your target audience online. But are you using the right keywords for your content? Sometimes keywords may seem right but have a different meaning to your audience.
When choosing keywords, never neglect the preferences of both search engines and users. Your customers are typing in certain words to look for your products and/or services. Which are they? Which ones are your successful competitors using?
Also, avoid using keywords that are too generic. Determine the best, trending keywords that are right for your business by using tools like:
- Google Adwords
- Keyword Planner
- Google Trends
- Moz Keyword Explorer
They can help you determine the right words to insert organically into your content.
- Forgetting about Local Searches – A number of studies proved that today’s customers use mobile devices to perform a local search before visiting a brick-and-mortar location. Local searches play a significant role in revealing your information to customers who are ready to buy.
Also, businesses should provide an accurate NAP (name, address, and phone number) on local directories that are relevant to their industry and top search engines. This gives your website “link juice.” Sharing verifiable information on different local directories also convinces Google that your business is well-established. Customers can find you easily.
- Keyword Stuffing – Keywords help rank your content but using them in every sentence or paragraph can lower your potential ratings. Search engines consider this technique to be spammy, which can hurt your SEO performance. Keyword stuffing can make content read as unnatural and irrelevant. Google is using Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) to determine the topic of your content and ensure you’re not overusing target keywords.
- Creating Irrelevant Content – As a reputable SEO company in Canada, we want our clients’ website pages to appear in the Number One slot for any given search. The quickest and most effective way to reach this goal is by creating content that is relevant to current and potential customers.
Google continues to reward websites that have relevant and informative content. Customers look for sites that share well-written and comprehensive information with simple navigation and modern design. Search engines consider these domains to be “authority websites.” To fall into this category, provide engaging, in-depth content that focuses on topics your target audience is seeking.
Publishing more content does not guarantee good results. Focus more on quality; it will help you get greater numbers of people to visit and trust your website.
- Duplicate Content – Republishing some of your content (even if it’s your own original stuff!) could earn a penalty from Google. If you have duplicate content across your web pages, it eventually will affect your performance and ranking. This rule is not simply limited to content — it also involves reusing the same title tags and meta descriptions.
Search engines are not easily fooled; take extra time to create something fresh and unique. However, you can repurpose your content to make it different and personal. Adding fresh, new ideas to existing content has a positive effect on your ranking. This gives your target audience another reason to revisit your web page and read updated information.
- Overloaded Website with Poor Load Times – Fast-loading websites provide better user experience (U/X) and are more likely to get crawled by search engines. While videos, images, custom banners, and other types of graphics boost U/X, they can affect the speed and performance of your website. Poor loading times makes customers quickly leave your site, increasing the bounce rate (this is bad).
Why does website speed performance matter? When current or potential customers visit a site, the search engine takes note of the time the user remains on the page — and any actions taken. Leaving quickly tells Google that the search result did not satisfy the needs of the customer.
- Missing Quality Links – Here, again, quality outshines quantity. Link your content to relevant, high-ranking websites with high domain authority. Also, linking back to sites that linked to your pages helps bring back traffic to your website in the future.
Using ineffective anchor text is a common counterproductive linking practice to avoid. The function of the anchor text should signify to both readers and search bots what the link is about — and its benefits to users. Do not use anchor texts, like “read here” or “click here.” Instead, use more innovative anchor texts to prevent search engines from recognizing your words as spammy.
Why Hire an SEO Company
With the constant changes in Google’s algorithms and new business competitors appearing all the time, it is smart to invest in a reliable SEO company. A trustworthy team will take your site, make it better, and help guide you in the important changes necessary to make you relevant in the online marketplace.
A good-looking website can only get you so far; there’s a lot that goes on in the back end that creates a successful business. Avoid SEO mistakes that could be fatal; invest in a group of professionals who can do the right thing for you. A team of SEO experts will explain the whole process to you and be transparent about regular reports and results.