Marketing for a small business can be challenging. Most small businesses don’t have a large marketing budget. Thankfully you don’t have to settle for less if your marketing budget is small.
[attention-lead-magnet] Before You Design, Before You Build, Before You Spend… Design Sprint [/attention-lead-magnet]
Here are 6 great cost-effective marketing ideas for your small business:
- Everyone is on social media, and guess what? It’s free!
- Don’t expect to just post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and gain 1,000 followers instantly; that’s just not realistic.
- When using social media, think about what’s trending and how you can make that into your own post. #trendingtopic
- Make sure you’re cross promoting. IFTTT is a great way to cross promote, you can build a recipe to share across your different social platforms. This way you can set it up and just forget about it.
- Listen to what your customers are saying. Talk with your customers, find out what they like and don’t like.
- Like, follow, and share other businesses content, as long as its relevant to what your business does.
- Use every platform you can. Most businesses stop with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, but there are so many great platforms out there. If you’re using them correctly, your company will receive some awesome benefits from them. Give some examples here.
- Writing blogs for your website is a great way to promote your business. By becoming the subject matter expert on something that is related to your business and sharing it with the public.
- You can also use your blogs as social media posts. Break your blog into different sections and post it on social media. Also be sure and post a backlink to the original blog.
- Link your blog to other blogs with relevant content. Put an example here.
- Write about industry news to place yourself as an authority in your industry.
- Be customer-centric – help answer your customer’s questions with the content you write.
- Have you ever wondered how people get their other websites to link to their website? Sometimes it can be an easy task, and sometimes there is a lot of work involved.
- Adding your business to different directories is a great way to get a backlink, and most directories are free. Add a few examples.
- Submit guest posts. Reach out to websites with similar interests and ask if you can submit a guest blog post. It’s a great way to earn backlinks and build your site’s authority on the web. Try looking through industry-related blogs and submitting to them. Keep track of what you send out and to whom!
- Most networking events give everyone attending the chance to give their elevator pitch, so it is essential that you have this down. After that, just ask a question to get people thinking. Add a bit more content here.
- Socialize! Most networking events give you the opportunity to socialize with everyone and tell them about what you do. Get to know people there – maybe you’ll meet someone that could help your business grow or vice versa! Even if you don’t find an opportunity for growth right now, fostering those relationships within your industry could come in handy later on.
- Remember: don’t push your product! Networking events aren’t for selling.
- Make sure you follow up with any contacts you meet at the event. The rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t wait longer than 72 hours to follow up with people.
MOST NEWSLETTERS SUCK, OURS DOESN’T
Join us for the latest in Digital Media Marketing
- Don’t think of this as giving away a free coffee mug or coaster. Think about what your company can give away that will bring in more traffic. It’s not a loss; it’s a way to gain more interest and more customers.
- For instance, eWebResults offers a free 15-minute call with an expert. We give them a free 15-minute website analysis, and we get a chance to market to them further and introduce them to our business. This is a great way to get people in the door.
- If you’re selling a product, offer it for free plus shipping.
- Give away things with your company logo, like t-shirts, coffee mugs, koozies, or stickers.
- Start a contest on your social media page(s)! It will gain interest quickly if you know what your customers want. Encourage them to share the contest to get more reach.
Start a Monthly Newsletter
- It’s super easy to start an email newsletter. Simply sign up for a Mailchimp account and start creating!
- Upload a list of customers to your account and keep it updated as needed.
- Mailchimp is free for businesses with less than 2,000 subscribers, but you can easily upgrade if you need more – it starts at $19/month.
- Use your newsletter to showcase your blogs, new content, sales and special offers, industry news, and anything else your customers might find relevant or interesting.
- This is a great way to stay in touch and keep your business on the forefront of your customers’ minds.
- Make sure you don’t over-send! A monthly newsletter is great – a daily one? Not so much. Avoid being seen as spammy by sending only relevant information a few times a month.
Bonus – Remarketing
Have you ever wondered how that product you looked at on Amazon continues to follow you around the internet? It’s called remarketing.
When someone visits your website and then leaves, they were there for a reason. Draw them back in with remarketing. Most businesses today use Google AdWords to remarket to anyone who has visited their website.
Remarketing is an extremely effective tool any business can use, but know that there is some cost involved.
For example, say you own a used car dealership. Maria visits your website looking for a Toyota Camry, but leaves your site without finding what she wants. With remarketing, you can show her new Toyota Camrys that come into your dealership to draw her back in. That way, Maria finds exactly what she’s looking for, and you get a customer to come back to your website and make a purchase. It’s a win-win!
Think about this: around 95% of people that visit your website leave after the first few seconds. Wouldn’t you like to turn that website traffic into conversions? By remarketing your ads to people who have already visited your website, you suddenly gain a 7-10% higher chance of converting them into a customer.