What Amazon Sellers Need To Know About Amazon Prime Sellers [20 Fascinating Stats]
Founded in 1994 by Jeff Bezos, Amazon is now the world’s largest online marketplace. Originally started as an online book store, Amazon now sells products all over the world.
Furthermore, services like Amazon Prime make it all more interesting. Prime is becoming more popular all over the world, and almost every Amazon customer uses it.
If you want to know the essential facts about Amazon Prime customers, you’ve come to the right place. Here are 20 key stats you need to know about Amazon Prime members.
There are 150 million Amazon Prime Members worldwide (Statista)
Amazon is the biggest online marketplace in the world. The amount of Amazon Prime users worldwide is equal to the amount of Amazon shopping App users in the US, which is 150.6 million.
- Out of these 150 million Amazon Prime Members, there are 112 million in the United States (Statista)
It’s no secret that most Amazon users come from the United States. Amazon has about 213.4 unique website visitors per month from the US alone. Accordingly, 112 million Amazon Prime members come from the United States, which is about 74%.
- On average, Amazon Prime Members spent $1,400 a year on Amazon (Statista)
While many Amazon customers spent much more than $1,400 a year on Amazon, the average Amazon Prime member spent $1,400 in 2019.
- 63% of Amazon customers are Amazon Prime Members (BusinessInsider)
In May 2020, there were 2.507 million website visits to Amazon.com generated through Amazon customers worldwide. According to Business Insider, 63% of all these Amazon customers are Amazon Prime Members.
- 64% of US households have an Amazon Prime Membership (BusinessInsider)
According to Statista, there are 128.58 million households in the United States. 64% of them have an Amazon Prime Membership.
- About 40 million products are eligible for Amazon Prime (BusinessInsider)
Amazon US sells more than 606 million products in the US alone. According to Business Insider, about 40 million of them are eligible for Amazon Prime.
- From 2017 to 2018, Amazon Prime Members spend 39% more on Amazon Prime Day (comscore)
On Amazon Prime Day 2018, Amazon customers purchased about 100 million products in one single day. Accordingly, Amazon Prime Members spend 39% more than in 2017.
- There are about 96.5 million Amazon Prime Video users (cnet)
While there are about 55 million Amazon Prime Music subscribers, there are 96.5 subscribers to Amazon Prime Video. From the 55 million Amazon Prime Music subscribers, 14% are aged 55+ (engadget).
- The average Amazon Prime Member spend $1,400 a year on Amazon while the average Non-Prime Member-only spends $700 (smartminded)
Here is an infographic showing the development of the expenses of prime and non-prime members over the years:
Source: How to Increase Sales on Amazon from smartminded
And also, 40% of Amazon Prime members spend more than $1,000 a year on Amazon (BusinessInsider).
- Amazon Prime revenue is continually growing by 49% year-over-year (Fortune)
Amazon Prime subscription service grew rapidly in the last years as they added services like Prime Video or Prime Music to it. According to an article from Fortune, Amazon Prime revenue is continually growing by 49% year-over-year.
- The most purchased item using Amazon Prime in 2018 was the Amazon Fire TV Stick (Amazon)
As the use of Amazon Prime Video and Amazon Music continued to grow, the Amazon Fire TV Stick was the most purchased item using Amazon Prime in 2018.
- 50% of Amazon Payment users are Amazon Prime Members (businesswire)
Amazon Payment is an online payment service launched in 2007. With Amazon Payment, you can pay with your Amazon Account on external websites. 50% of the users are also Amazon Prime Users.
- 78% of respondents say the top reason for an Amazon Prime Membership is the Free-2-Day Shipping (emarketer)
There are many reasons for an Amazon Prime membership, such as Prime Video or Prime Music. However, the most important reason for most members is the Free-2-Day Shipping.
Who Uses Amazon Prime
- 19% of US Millennials use Amazon Prime (marketer).
- 16% of US Generation X use Amazon Prime (marketer).
- 11% of US Baby Boomers use Amazon Prime (marketer).
- There are approximately 8 million Amazon Prime users from the UK (marketer)
- There are 150 million Amazon Prime Members in total. 112 million come from the United States. 8 million come from the United Kingdom.
- There are 6 million Amazon Prime users in China (chinainternetwatch)
Although Amazon is not as present in China as in the USA and Europe, there are still 6 million Amazon Prime users in China.
If you want to sell on Amazon or already sell on Amazon, you should get your products eligible for Amazon Prime.
The paid subscription is becoming more and more critical, and customers buy more Prime products because of the fast shipping. Amazon Prime Members also spend more than Non-Prime Members.
About the Author
Moritz Bauer runs his Blog smartminded, where he writes actionable blog posts about how to sell on Amazon.