In general, personalized recommendations have been used to display either product that was frequently brought or just items that sellers wanted to bring more attention to.
The classic methods for recommending products left a lot of room for bias, though. While they can generate more sales even for products that aren’t often purchased, only smart AI-based apps give product recommendations customized to every shopper’s needs.
Here’s where Shopify’s apps come in to help you make better-personalized recommendations that buyers won’t skip because they genuinely need them. To help you choose the best one for your store, we had an in-depth look at the top 7 Shopify apps on the market and ran through their pros and cons as they resulted from the app specifications and user reviews.
Disclaimer: Not all Shopify themes support product recommendations. Head over to their help page to see if you can add any of the following product personalization apps to your store.
Here are the best 7 product recommendation apps for Shopify you can use today:
MorphL AI helps e-commerce companies make intelligent decisions, personalize experiences, accelerate growth, and optimize workflows. It consists of a suite of machine learning models that can be used across the customer journey.
What’s interesting about MorphL is that it’s an all-in-one AI for e-commerce where they go beyond providing only product recommendations (as you’ll see with the rest of the Shopify apps that we’re covering in this article) – their catalog of AI capabilities include:
- Shopping Stage Prediction
- Cart Abandonment
- Churning Users
- Customer LTV
- User Search Intent
Each of these models is trained only on the data coming from the e-commerce company using MorphL. While this ensures compliance with privacy regulations and ethical AI principles, it comes with a caveat: it requires a large set of data for those models to perform at their highest standards. This makes MorphL suitable mostly for Shopify Plus merchants with at least 100,000 monthly tracked users (not customers).
Being a middle-layer, MorphL has the option to push predictions in various 3rd party marketing platforms where e-commerce professionals can create predictive marketing campaigns or personalize customers’ experiences on the Shopify store through the use of meta fields and tags.
14-day free trial. It’s $599/month or $499/mo when paid annually for the first 100,000 monthly tracked users, and it scales with the number of users and models being used.
- Have all the AI capabilities in one place
- Easily integrates with Google Analytics or BigQuery
- It’s not suitable for smaller online merchants as it requires at least 100K monthly users
- Requires some development hours, especially for custom implementations
LimeSpot’s personalization tool harnesses AI’s power to show customers products they genuinely need and not just the seller’s subjective recommendations. To do this, the app uses user behavior and product trends as they result from past purchases. While the tool does come with a 15-day trial, this data does take time to work accurately, so keep this in mind when you sign up as you won’t be able to see the results in such a short time if you’ve got a smaller store. The tool is easy to implement from a design point of view through their integrated visual editors, allowing even non-tech professionals to edit the layout and content type for each recommendation box.
To monitor how your product personalization choices are performing, the A/B testing feature will let you juggle with multiple variants for your homepage or thank-you landing pages so you can optimize all customer journey stages. This Shopify personalization app also allows you to upsell and cross-sell across multiple channels from your website and e-commerce store to your email marketing efforts.
Free to install. You start to pay once your revenue exceeds $5,000/month. Some features, such as A/B testing or specific integrations are only available starting with the Gold plan that’s $20/month.
- Visual editor for anyone to easily switch layouts and design
- A/B testing feature
- Real-time analytics
- Option to send product personalization via email campaigns
- Multiple integrations available
- Expensive option for small shop owners
- Slow customer support
This product customization app by Code Black Belt prides itself on helping users deliver recommendations similar to those on Amazon who corners the retailing market. This means you’ll be able to display the products that other buyers have frequently purchased together in bundles and improve your cross-selling game. Shoppers will be able to use a single click to add all products to their cart once, saving them time and boosting your revenue.
The sections with the recommended products can easily be edited as they are adapted to every single Shopify theme that supports them. While the tool uses data mining to acquire this data, this is the only smart feature. There’s an additional option for you to manually choose the products you want to display or show random items when collected data isn’t sufficient.
$7.99/month after the 30-day trial
- Easy customization options for the product recommendation section
- Multiple integrations available
- Discount option for product bundles
- Limited features for the app
- You can only use one discount/store since the tools isn’t a discount app at its core
- Users have been complaining about slow customer support and a lack of regular updates
This Shopify app from LoopClub helps you display various product recommendations, such as bestsellers, products that were frequently bought together, recently viewed items, and much more. This being said, the app already helps 5,000+ customers with both their upselling and cross-selling efforts.
You can opt to either choose the recommendations manually or let their AI/ML-system do the work in your place. The analytics module boosts your efforts by showing you what the top recommendations are and giving you real data on your conversions, revenue, and the number of orders. Its advanced personalization options make it extra easy for anyone to choose the best possible recommendations for every shopper.
A free plan is available for 1,000 widgets, while paid plans start at $9.99/month.
- Easy to use and install
- Multiple integrations to choose from
- Full of options to display recommendations according to specific needs
- Analytics feature
- No 24/7 support or product review feature with the free plan
The ReConvert product personalization tool from StilyoApps works only on thank-you pages. It uses Amazon’s thank-you landing pages as an inspiration to help sellers deliver a similar experience. But do keep in mind the entire app is limited to a single page, hence its focus on upselling and cross-selling.
Despite its simple feature of displaying product recommendations, the tool provides extra options, including collecting buyer birth dates so you can retarget them with special offers and creating reorder prompts with exclusive offers. You are even showing time-sensitive discounts as pop-ups and a tracker for orders so the buyers can see their purchase progress. You can add additional images and videos along with a brief post-purchase survey to help you gather more information and tailor future campaigns.
There’s a free plan you can use for up to 50 orders/month. Paid plans start at $7.99/month and include all features.
- Real-time performance analytics
- Free up to 50 orders
- Easy to use
- Dozens of integrations to choose from and more to come
- Limited overall features
This Shopify app claims it can improve your orders’ average value, create more interest around products you want to bring to light, and increase your overall profits. These results can be achieved mainly because the app largely relies on cross-selling, as its name also states.
Recommendations can be displayed on product pages, as pop-ups upon adding a product to the cart, and within the cart page. This is usually done manually, but they recently introduce an AI-backed feature to pick the best options automatically. The app’s stats are limited to clicks and conversions, but they’re only valid for the overall store stats. This being said, you won’t specifically see which products perform best or if you have any that have gone unnoticed.
$19.99/month after a short 14-day free trial
- Easy to use
- Product selection can be done both manually and using their AI algorithm to back them up
- Style customization options and extra settings
- Shopify Discounts compatibility
- Clean UI
- Limited product recommendation features
- Only one third-party integration available
- Shortest trial among all other Shopify apps on this list standing at only 14 days
- Analytics are limited to general conversions and clicks
- Users have been mentioning slow customer supports along with a complicated set up for the tool
This Shopify app from Innonic is yet another one that uses Amazon’s reference to compare their features. Claiming a similar upselling and product customization experience, Upsell Recommendations helps sellers automate their recommendation process at no cost.
This add-on aims to increase your sales through a complex AI algorithm that showcases bestsellers, popular products, most expensive items, products shoppers might like, and other suggested items. The recommendations can be placed on your homepage, product pages, or cart page. Design and positioning are easily customizable and match all of the Shopify themes naturally.
- The app is free to use
- Compatible with any Shopify theme
- Mobile friendly
- Easy to install and use
- No analytics features
- Few integrations with other apps
- Outdated design
- Users claim the app has created many bugs in their store, which is reasonable considering the app is free.
So how do you choose a personalization app for your Shopify store?
||Free to install||5|
||Free to install||4.8|
|Frequently Bought Together||
||Free plan available||5|
|ReConvert Upsell & Cross-Sell||
||Free plan available||5|
|Cross-Sell Recommend Products||
Most of these tools will help you collect data and improve your product recommendation process in time. Data mining processes and AI algorithms are mandatory though your sellers won’t skip if you want to display accurate recommendations. This is by far the first prerequisite of any Shopify customization app you’ll opt to test out.
If you’re just getting started with your e-commerce store, a free app will do the trick, but once you hit that 100 orders mark, you’ll need to look into another alternative that can provide multiple customization options. The ideal product recommendations app lets you display:
- Commonly bought items
- Most popular products
- Items that are frequently purchased together
- Products you can cross-sell and upsell based on customer behavior such as browsing history and existing purchase data.
This significantly reduces the time you’d have to spend manually hand-picking the products and increases users’ possibility to like what products you’re putting forward as other users with similar profiles have bought them already.
Besides having an all-in-one app, consider your secondary needs:
- How easy is it to use the app?
- If the app works with your store’s theme
- What the options for styling and customizing how you display the products are
- If they offer any analytics options and how detailed they are
- What integrations you might be able to use [related explicitly to discounting and landing page builders]
- What other users said about the tool [start by reading the negative comments first as they’re usually more honest but make sure you also check what the creator of the app had to say, so the reviews are genuine and not accidentally given]
The reviews for the Shopify product recommendation apps above are targeted at all of these critical features. So write down all of your must-haves and run through the analysis above to select the ones that match all of your prerequisites.
One last thing not to miss: test your final options first, so you don’t end up with them slowing down your store or causing any bugs.