Automation is a term thrown around a lot in the digital marketing world. While many think of automation as a tool only for email marketing, you can also use automation to streamline other aspects of your digital marketing strategy.
Automation can be as simple as setting up an automation rule so that every content you publishes is automatically posted to your social media accounts or as complex as a series of automated workflows that help you manage your lead generation and conversion process.
Benefits of Marketing Automation
If you’re still on the fence about automation, let’s take a look at why automation is essential for marketing strategy and how you can use automation to streamline your marketing efforts.
Easy to Scale and Deploy
Automation doesn’t require a lot of time or effort on your part, which is why so many companies use it. First, you set up your campaigns and let them run automatically until you’re ready to stop them. Then, when you want to change or add more information, you edit or add new steps to your process.
One option is to automate your webinars. ‘On-demand webinars‘ are pre-recorded so they can be watched by participants in their free time instead of picking a scheduled time.
Better Time Management
Marketing strategies and campaigns require a lot of repetitive tasks, like social media posting and email campaigns. Automating these processes frees up your time.
Having an extra few hours is great, right? However, you could accomplish other things this time, such as planning new strategies or building customer relationships.
Saves Money and Resources
Automation can also save money compared with traditional marketing. For example, let’s say you’re running an email marketing campaign. You don’t have to hire people to send messages to your subscribers because the software does it for you.
The same goes for social media posting and other tasks.
Using analytics, automation allows you to target specific groups of people through social media, email campaigns, and other forms of digital marketing with specific offers, which means you don’t have to spend money trying to get your message in front of everyone.
This improves the chances that your campaign will be successful.
Imagine waking up early or in the middle of the night to publish an Instagram post. It is not only inconvenient, but it can also be a huge time drain. An automation tool like SocialPilot and Hootsuite helps eliminate this problem by allowing you to schedule posts ahead so they go live at a specific time and date.
Access to Detailed Reports
A lot of marketing decisions are made by companies that are driven by intuition. Whether they are right or wrong, there isn’t any definite way to tell without trying it many times until you get the result you’re looking for.
Automated marketing software allows you to have detailed reports available to see what is working and what isn’t. You’ll be able to determine which campaigns have been successful and which ones haven’t worked as well as expected.
Improved Customer Service
Automation also allows you to improve customer service by serving customers in real time. For example, you don’t need to wait for someone to respond to your customer’s message; instead, you can automate this process so that every person who contacts you gets an immediate response from your company’s automated system.
Hubspot Chatbot Builder is an excellent example of this. The software allows you to create automated responses to common questions and issues so your customers can get help faster.
Types of Marketing Automation Software
Here are some common types of marketing automation software:
- Email Marketing Automation: Allow you to create email campaigns, optimize campaigns based on performance and deliver personalized content through email
- Social Media Automation: Engage your audience across multiple social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn automatically using rules-based tools like polls, quizzes, and contests, increasing engagement levels while driving traffic back to your website
- Lead Scoring Automation: Analyze customer behavior data points over time to determine the best leads for sales reps to focus on during their daily activities, such as phone calls or emails, based on certain criteria
- Lead Nurturing Automation: Create automated email campaigns to nurture leads through the buying cycle by providing relevant content, offers, or news that keeps them engaged with your brand
- Campaign Management Automation: Offer the ability to create and manage campaigns, including sending emails and analyzing results. The platform also allows you to schedule when these campaigns are delivered based on certain criteria, such as time of day or day of the week.
- Customer Relationship Management Automation: Help you identify your customers and keep track of their status in real-time. This feature can help you manage leads and see how far along they are in the buying cycle.
Does Automation Mean Replace Your Employees?
The short answer is no. Automation is not designed to replace your employees but to improve their workflow and efficiency.
Automation can help your employees to stay focused on the tasks that require their attention and let them spend more time on high-value activities.
As Bill Gates says, “automation applied to an efficient operation will magnify the efficiency; automation applied to an inefficient operation will magnify the inefficiency.”