With over 53% of the world’s total population using social media, it is safe to say that social media has become an integral part of people’s everyday life from all over the world. As a result, this digital platform has seen tremendous growth in the past few years and has become one of the primary marketing channels among various companies.
Companies with an effective social media strategy can reach their intended audience and boost their businesses. But to boost up the businesses, it is essential to gain insights by paying close attention to the yearly social media statistics, which ensures you know where to focus your marketing efforts to get the highest ROI.
How many people are active on social media?
With over 4.5 billion people using the internet every day, around 3.8 billion people are on social media in some form or the other. But to reach the ideal intended audience, how can we sort out those 3.8 billion people? So to determine which social media platform to focus on, it is important to look through each platform.
With many updates along with near-constant streaming of new features, undoubtedly Instagram is the most relevant platform out there. This is because this social media platform has seen so much growth in its user count and mass engagement with a constant focus on staying current over the period.
In 2019, the platform tested a new display layout called the IGTV and Instagram stories having a hiding feature and a “Reels” section very similar to the popular Tik Tok app. Below are some Instagram statistics over the period:
- The platform has about 1 billion active users, and from the past years, there has been an increase of 42.86% in its users.
- 90% of its users have a business on this platform.
- An average post contains around 10.7 hashtags.
- 500 million accounts post stories every single day.
- About 78% of its active users consider Instagram posts as the most effective content formats in the case of influencer marketing.
Globally, YouTube holds a record for being the second largest search engine. In addition, it is the most popular channel for sharing video content for businesses. It is estimated that by 2025, YouTube users will reach a milestone of about 2.8 billion. Furthermore, in a poll of more than 1,000 marketers from all around the globe, in the year 2022, 44% of the marketers are planning to leverage YouTube for the first time. Below are some of the YouTube statistics over the period:
- As per 2019 stats, about 85% of US teens were active on this platform.
- Compared to TV networks, the YouTube reach among adults aged between 18 to 24 is more.
- YouTube constitutes about 25% of the world’s total mobile traffic.
- Around 54% of people consider this platform an excellent place to begin and want marketers to put more video content.
Tiktok has gained about 689 million active users globally as per the January 2021 stats. In 2020, it was the most downloaded app with over 106,000 TikTok influencers across the globe. When Musically emerged with TikTok, Douyin, the original standalone app of TikTok in China, had over 300 million active users. Below are some of the TikTok statistics:
- In the US, most TikTok users are aged between 10 to 19.
- About 58.8% of US users are female.
- Globally about 41% of the TikTok users are between 16 to 24.
- This platform has its average engagement rate higher than all its follower levels.
Reddit is a platform where people can dive into their hobbies, passions, and interests. It is popular among the nerdy slice of the global population and is a site with incredible sources on every single field of human knowledge. As per the 2020 stats, Reddit has an active user of about 52 million, forming 44% YoY. Below are a few Reddit statistics over the period:
- The site has over 50 billion screen views monthly.
- US’s Reddit users are male, but only 15% of the US adults are active users.
- About 8% of the US active users are female.
- As per the 2021 stats, the mobile app of Reddit has more than 13 billion active users daily globally on ios.
Hashtags play an important on digital platforms as they help in brand recognition by creating successful digital marketing campaigns. Therefore, using a relevant hashtag in your social media strategy is essential when creating social media campaigns. As per the 2021 stats, the optimal number of hashtags usage is about 1 to 3. But heir is no perfect number of hashtags usage for business posts or any posts. Below are some of the few hashtag statistics over the period:
- Using hashtags on Twitter can increase engagement by 50% for brands and 100% for individuals.
- The sweet spot of the hashtag usage for a tweet ranges between 1 to 2, and this strategy increases engagement by 21%.
- In the case of Instagram, posts having at least one hashtag have an interaction rate of about 29%, but a post has more than 11 hashtags has the highest interaction rate with 79.5%.
- In Facebook, the use of only one hashtag can get you the maximum engagement, with about an average of 593 engagements per post.
With about 6.378 billion smartphone users in today’s world, about 80.69% of the total world population owns a smartphone. Over the last 12 months, the total number of mobile users grew by 97 million as per the data released by GSMA intelligence and is thus growing at a 1.9% rate per year.
Out of this 80.69% of smartphone users, about 75.4% consider themselves smartphone addicts, while 65.6% check their phones up to 160 times a day, and only 57.4% find themselves using their phone on dates. Below are some of the few smartphone statistics over the period:
- About 62% of smartphone users make their purchases through their devices.
- In the year 2021, in-app advertising rose to $201 billion.
- About 47% of smartphone users from the US say they can’t live without their phones.
- The top 10 vendors dominate about 77% of the global smartphone market.
The social media marketing statistics show the current state today and give us insight into where it might be going in a few years and how to ensure our businesses by continuously engaging with the audiences. Using these statistics, we can also understand what we need to do effectively to boost the business in today’s world, and this is a revolution in the world of business campaigns.