The Internet has opened a new world for many people around the world. Many opportunities are available here. It knows no boundary but brings huge economic chances for people in every country.
The Internet allows people to improve the quality of their life. It opens access to previously inaccessible things. The internet has a large number of devices connecting to it every minute.
With almost three million users, the internet has emerged as one of the essential communication tools. Therefore, devices like routers have become a necessary part of this world, and hand in hand come IP Addresses (which is a big topic and (https://routerlogin.app/192-168-1-1/) can help in understanding it thoroughly).
The internet is a manifestation of never-ending innovation and creativity. But while the Internet will deliver innovations, it will also entail new risks. For example, home routers used to connect to the Internet are plagued by security problems.
The number of cases for violation of the system’s security policy, common people’s internet-enabled devices such as routers, webcams, printers, and so on are susceptible to vulnerability, and online attacks have increased dynamically.
In a dynamic environment where cyber risks continually evolve, and new vulnerabilities are identified almost daily, it is necessary to use the most up-to-date security tools to deal with protection measures for new and ever-shifting attack vectors.
How To Check If Someone Is Using Your Router’s Network?
(ask your neighbor!!! Hahaha, just kidding)
- Inspect the Wi-Fi router itself. Check if your Wi-Fi router is open for all. If it is available for all, it means that your Wi-Fi is not secure.
- To ensure its security, you need to set a Security password from your admin panel and choose one security type, WEP, WPA, and WPA2.
- WPA2 is the security type with more than ten characters. If you set your security type as WPA2 personal, then the only way to break your wireless password is through brute force. Hence, this will be safe for your home routers. This way, you can prevent the Network Adapters from accessing your Wi-Fi.
- Check the router logs for the devices that are associated with your router. This way, you can find the number of devices that are registered on your network.
- These may be hack attempts if you see an unrecognized device connected or failed connection attempts from unrecognized devices.
- Look for unknown Wi-Fi access points that are not broadcasting an SSID that is not secured and ensure that a device does not host them on your network.
How To Check If Your Home Router Is Vulnerable?
Some security aspects users should look at in a home network ―particularly those related to its internet-connected router configuration.
1. Conduct Router Connectivity and Authentication Tests
Routers allow the administration and configuration by using some ports that are in the local network. This could be done either through an Ethernet cable or a wireless connection. A person can configure their router via the web, but routers also allow connections for other services and ports.
2. Perform Vulnerability Tests On The Router
There is another feature to examine while looking for weak points in your router settings. (i.e.,) to perform tests for checking vulnerabilities in your router using tools that can automate such tasks.
This type of tool provides information, options, and suggestions on how to eradicate such possible problems. For example, some router tests contain scanning the port for vulnerabilities, trouble in DNS server application, default passwords, vulnerable firmware, or malware attacks.
3. Verify Connected Devices In The Network
It is a good idea to be aware of all the devices connected to your router to avoid wasting resources and prevent your data from being compromised by third parties.
4. Enable Security Options
It is preferable to enable the security options accessible in your router configuration designed to offer more protection to your devices and the network.
5. Update All Devices On The Home Network
It is recommended to update all the devices connected to your network when manufacturers publish the security patches that address the vulnerability. As soon as patches are available, installing the updates to the firmware is advisable.
A Better Route To Router Is Home Network Security
Since users make an appealing target to all sorts of illegal, immoral, and simply nosey practices, including malware, spying, ransomware, financial frauds, identity theft, and more, it’s essential today to use security software on your devices.
- Bitdefender Antivirus Plus- Guaranteed security and dozens of features.
- Norton AntiVirus Plus- Stops all viruses in their tracks or gives you your money back.
- Trend Micro Antivirus+ Security- Strong protection with a touch of simplicity.
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows- Award-winning provider that will keep you safe at all times.
- Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus- Stay safe without slowing down your computer.
Other Ways To Reduce The Risk Of Attack On Your Home Router
- Allow access to the LAN interface. Do not allow access over WAN interfaces.
- It is advisable to use a strong password for management and a wireless key.
- Always keep track of firmware updates and bugs that affect your device.
- Always get a router with a stateful firewall and see if your router can use DD-WRT as the firmware.