What is Brand Awareness, and Why is it Important?
Brand awareness is the extent to which a customer recognizes or remembers your business or your specific product. The more brand awareness you build, the larger your potential audience of customers, and if your product hits the quality mark, the more sales you will have. It’s a broad definition, to be sure, but it bears remembering. For example, have you ever needed a tissue and asked for a Kleenex? This is an example of excellent brand awareness.
81% of consumers say that they prefer to buy from brands they trust. Brand awareness is important because it helps your customers recall your product and understand why purchasing your product is better than purchasing a new brand without a reputation. It works both ways, though. If you don’t value brand awareness and don’t work to cultivate it, you could end up with a completely terrible reputation. So how does one build positive brand awareness in 2021?
How Does Digital Marketing Increase Brand Awareness?
Digital marketing is the cornerstone of brand awareness in 2021 – with so many digital marketing platforms, you can reach an entirely new audience with a single well-placed and worded post. The amount of time people spend on the internet per day, per capita in 2021, is 37 minutes via PC and 155 minutes per day via mobile phones. We use the internet and our phones for everything from shopping and directions to communication…basically everything.
3.96 billion people use social media worldwide, and the average person had 8.6 social media accounts in 2020, up from 4.8 in 2014. With an average of more than 8 social media accounts per person, it’s an easy choice to take on digital marketing – your customers are there waiting for you to arrive!
Tips to Increase Brand Awareness
- Be authentic – consumers in 2021 expect their brands to be honest and forthcoming about their beliefs and goals. Build an authentic brand people trust by being transparent and consistent in your messaging and visuals. Build relationships with customers based on trust and mutual respect.
- Be influential – Social media influencer reach is too great, and if they are well known, they have at least a grasp of what it takes to make brand awareness happen. Consider partnering with a complimentary influencer to advertise your product. Remember, choose the right partner. Working with a partner who is famous for a bad reputation might burn you in the end. It’s always safer to look for a professional, punctual, and reliable influencer partnership first.
- Be fast – first impressions are critical for new or developing brands. You only have seconds to attract the notice and attention of a potential customer, especially when using the internet to spread brand awareness. A disorganized, disjointed, and unappealing website will take your brand from hero to zero in seconds flat.
- Be consistent – customers want to know what they are getting, and part of building great brand recognition is having a loyal group of customers who know exactly what they will get from your brand 100% of the time. For example, if Tide had changed the color of their bottle to green in the 1996 redesign, how fast do you think they would have lost all brand recognition they’ve worked for years? Also, consider using other brands with great reputations to offer features like USPS Shipping Calculator. Customers will love to see you working with a brand they trust and will appreciate the up-front information about cost.
- Be excellent – Jeff Bezos said, “We see our customers as guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It’s our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better.” Great customer service really helps a brand stand out from the herd. Unfortunately, there have been many brands that have suffered for their poor customer service standards. Putting customers on hold too long, using negative language, transferring callers around, and asking customers to repeat themselves are great ways to offer really unforgettably horrible customer service.
How Do You Measure Brand Awareness?
Increase brand awareness through native advertising, track impressions, click-through rates, and website traffic to measure your brand awareness. For building awareness using social media, check the analytics on each platform. Finally, constantly monitor your campaigns to track any swings in reaction or reach.
Increasing brand awareness has never been easier, with digital marketing becoming the new norm. But, unfortunately, people see and build impressions of your brand moment by moment, meaning this fight is yours to lose. So take a moment to rethink your digital marketing and brand awareness strategy today, and feel free to incorporate a few of these tips and tricks to increase your company brand awareness!