Consumer behavior keeps on changing over time. This is because social factors heavily influence people’s shopping patterns. For example, customers did not bother about a company’s internal affairs back in the day. As long as a brand ensured top-quality products and services, the customer base loved and lauded it to the core. But in the new era, our society has adopted drastic social changes and demands transparency in all spheres of life. Therefore, it is equally important for companies to analyze their environmental impact and alter harmful business practices.
Considering climate change and other environmental threats, people expect businesses to be more socially responsible and play a critical role in positive contributions. That is where sustainability flips into action. Not subscribing to sustainable business practices could directly affect your bottom line.
Under the findings of a credible report, 87 percent of the customer base builds a positive image of a company following sustainable business operations. So how could you switch from a conventional to a sustainable business? Well, here is what you need to do:
- Indulge in recycling
Companies generate a tremendous amount of waste. But do you know that almost 70 percent of the waste is recyclable? So it would help if you got on with the recycling process immediately. In case you are not well-versed regarding how to go about recycling, the following tips will help you proceed:
- Start donating: Recycling does not necessarily have to be done to save your business costs. Depending on the nature of the products, you may consider donating them to various charity organizations. But, donation campaigns are prone to create space issues. If you face the same challenge, storage units may help reduce headaches. You can even store essential byproducts or materials necessary for future use in these units.
- Connect with a recycling center: These places turn waste into fresh reusable material. If you are a small business and lack the resources to recycle on your own, taking a recycling center onboard could be the best alternative. However, we recommend you be very careful when cherry-picking a provider. Take factors like certification and recycling methods into account before hiring their services.
Guess what? Some states offer reasonable grants to businesses meeting certain recycling targets. In other words, recycling does not only cut costs but also makes entrepreneurs eligible for state funding.
- Go Solar
Contrary to other energy options, solar energy is far more sustainable. Many businesses are aware of solar panels’ contribution to achieving sustainability goals. But they often fail to take the initiative owing to the upfront installation costs. Government and private lenders have begun to address this pain by providing commercial solar loans. Multiple types of loans align with the solar needs of various companies to facilitate business. That way, entrepreneurs can conveniently purchase solar panels without experiencing too many financial hassles down the road.
- Environmental friendly packaging
According to a credible study, the packaging alone accounts for 23 percent of the USA’s total landfilling. Usually, businesses come up with the excuse that they go with plastic packaging to keep operating costs at a minimum. This argument did hold some weight in the past. But, provided the abundance of cheap alternatives, parting ways with plastic is achievable.
Wondering what eco-friendly packaging options are out there? We are listing them in the below section:
- Biodegradable packing peanuts: It has been a standard practice for businesses to utilize Styrofoam to protect fragile products. You can replace it with biodegradable peanuts that ensure equal protection and do not harm the environment.
- Inflatable air pillows: Inflatable air pillows also safeguard products from long and rough shipment. Apart from being biodegradable, they can be recycled several times.
- Mushrooming packaging: This packaging is made of agricultural waste, which takes the possibility of negatively influencing the earth out of the equation. The biggest upshot of mushroom packaging is that one can transform it into virtually any shape.
We have just mentioned only a handful of eco-friendly choices. You may also exploit seaweed packaging, organic fabrics, corrugated bubble wrap, etc.
- Hire a remote workforce
The remote workforce trend has been gaining traction for quite some time. Some of the well-known reasons leading to the popularity of remote working are; that it ensures better work-life balance and frees employees from the rigid schedule. But the concept of a remote workplace is also chipping in with sustainability upsides for businesses.
By relying on the remote workforce, you save energy in the office. Moreover, when employees do not regularly come to a workplace, they do not consume fuel that goes into transportation.
Companies make up for the enormous amount of pollution we go through in our daily life. Hence, they should take responsibility for resolving the issue in modern society. We have listed the most tried and trusted methods to pave the way for green business and bring you under the limelight for being an eco-minded entrepreneur.