The page and post editor that ships and WordPress website development have been around for a long time now, so possibly now is the time for an upgrade?
One faction of developers and voluminous contributors also apostle the statement and have already begun work to update the WordPress post writing experience. Their zealous project is called the Gutenberg project. Its core motive is to swap default editor soon with at present on try and test period as a plugin before cementing its footprint into the WordPress era.
So, if you are eloquent about developing stuff, and a newbie to this news, here is a glimpse of the most-talked WP trend.
“But before you make the right move with the WP editor, unskippable is to ace the fundamental question like “Why WordPress wins over HTML crafting an ideal choice for every startup, entrepreneur, and Flourished name in the business world.”
Since you can do whatever you want to with the HTML code, but WordPress’s new Gutenberg editor is imminent, thus providing a ripe opportunity for creating advanced content layouts.
So, let’s get to work!
WordPress is working on a new editor known as Gutenberg, set to release with the next big WP 5.0 release. The work on the editor has been commenced quite a long now while adhering to the mantra of delivering a better, seamless editor experience to its user, a little bit similar to the functionalities with a page builder like Visual Composer and Elementor.
WordPress experts have already got their hands on it and went into the nitty-gritty of its working, like an advanced version of the WP editor that matches the pace with the big boys.
This article will reveal how Gutenberg’s WP editor acts as a page builder and its advantages and disadvantages to the WP users.
But, First, Let Us Get Familiar With “What Is Gutenberg”?
Gutenberg is WordPress’s new (visual) editor, replacing the word processor like TinyMCE. On the whole, it works by piling “blocks” of several types of contents on top of each other, allowing users to create and curate the content they previously would have needed for a customized theme or dedicated page-builder plugin to produce.
Considering the face value, it seems like a big improvement, but the launch of the totally new system has not been completely smooth. That, too, with a considerable amount of negative feedback rolling in.
Now, past few months after the launch, the whopping questions remaining unanswered are:
- How negative was the feedback?
- What was the reason for it?
- How will Gutenberg become users’ choice?
Here in this blog, you will find answers to these questions with a comprehensive look at the pros and cons of Gutenberg – from both aspects (Industry and User).
The next Big Answer Is To “Why Gutenberg”?
At present, the WordPress editor is interactive and straightforward. However, it lags far behind in functionalities that the editor should have. For instance, there is no drag and drop functionality.
So, to insert diverse elements, you will either need to use HTML or other shortcode options.
That’s not fair enough to be convenient, right?
This is where Gutenberg Comes to the rescue. Gutenberg introduces the new concept of “Little Blocks.” This adds an exciting factor to the whole idea as it brings the entire plethora of advanced layout options, backed by a frontend drag and drop visual editor.
As Gutenberg is already launched, it is highly recommended to test your website. Also, you should test it for any compatibility concerns, slowdowns, and potential issues that could arise. But, make sure you install it on your live website if you are 100% sure it is compatible and doesn’t break any functionality. It is not just for Gutenberg but for all the plugins as well.
Now, Is The Time For “How To Install Gutenberg Editor”
Before we step ahead with the pros and cons of the newcomer WP editor, it’s essential to learn about its installation. It can be done in the same manner you do from the WP dashboard, plugin > Add new and typing in Gutenberg and further click on the install button.
A Healthy Tip: Be Cautious While Installing The Plugin On A Live Website
Partner With “Gutenberg As Your New Live Editor”
In WordPress customization, after installing it, you should find the “Gutenberg” button on any page and post you are editing in the backend. This solely means that both the editors can be accessed and used at the same moment. And, finally, the inception of the Gutenberg editor swiped the conventional classic editor.
Compared to the traditional one, Gutenberg offers more writing space with a visual and clean interface, which means that it can provide a lending hand to help improve focus and productivity.
Gutenberg’s Significant Advantages
- Tiny MCE is a considerable part of the WordPress Editor. However, relying too much on it was never a helpful move to WordPress to move ahead in the right direction. With Gutenberg, the plugin’s themes and the core will be strictly included to proffer a great yet unforgettable editing experience.
- Gutenberg imitates the medium-style editing experience. Often, it should be considered a good idea as it provides an easy way to create content. So, if you are in love with the medium editor, you are for sure to fall in love with Gutenberg too.
- Gutenberg comes with the new term ”Blocks.” It is a new way to create posts and pages if you are just about to start blogging. These also block gratis your creativity when it comes to creating pages. In totality, blocks are a great way to create and visualize pages without losing the website’s functionality.
- Even if you are a productivity freak and don’t like distractions, Gutenberg will be your favorite choice. It comes with a full complete screen template to keep you out of any back-end distractions and help you unleash the artist from within.
- The entire block system is mobile-friendly. The WordPress experts’ pages created using the Gutenberg editor are mobile-friendly, but you can use them to edit your pages and posts on the go.
- The most prominent and positive change that the Gutenberg editor brings in is – it is very user-friendly. This clearly shows why it is the top pick for newbies and profound, too, as it helps to align with the entire WordPress philosophy.
- Last but not least, the editor is customized to be your top pick when it comes to building websites with WordPress, in the way they are developed (here, I am talking about the great experience delivered by Visual Composer and Elementor page builder)
Con’s Of Using Gutenberg’s
As by now, we have gone through the good points, now is the time to see the pain points of the editor in the current scenario.
- As a leading WordPress development company is familiar with numerous shortcuts that are not any more functional in the WordPress editor.
Supposedly, you ever thought about changing the heading case or convert the paragraph into H2 or H3 headings. Then what?
There it would be best if you shifted the block type. The old (alt+shift+2 (ctrl+option+2 on Mac)) won’t be the outcome.
- API is the new challenge. If you are a WordPress developer, you are quite well-known with fact of your dependency on API.
- It might prove to be a little problematic for other existing plugins, themes, and extensions. Although, the WordPress team is ready to solve all the issues regarding the transmission and not required things to happen.
Moreover, I will recommend going for Gutenberg editor to update your WordPress website to WordPress 5.0 for all the existing plugins, themes, and extensions.
The Final Thoughts…
Overall, I am fascinated and impressed with the Gutenberg editor, and definitely, something incredible is definitely there for the future. To some extent, the extensive features of Gutenberg are convincing.
Overall, if you want to proceed further with Gutenberg Editor, undeniably align with the proficient WordPress experts to abreast the WordPress ecosystem. But for a user, it is also advisable to try a stable solution before giving it a try. And, on the same note, if you are a business or solely dependent on the editor, try it first.
If everything fits precisely and rightly to complete the puzzle, you can go ahead with the update. Else, wait for the next big WordPress website development launch.
Sam Fitzgerald is associated with Wordprax Ltd., a leading WordPress Development Company, and handles all major WordPress development projects, PSD to WordPress conversion, HTML to WordPress conversion, along with his team of designers and developers. As a hobby, I also write Technical Articles related to WordPress development to share my deep insights into this subject.