No matter which app or service you are using, screen sharing is beneficial to users in many ways. The screen sharing feature lets us share our tablet, or desktop content live over the web. Just imagine how many hours and confusion we could save in the past if computer support problems could be explained through screen sharing.
There are several good things about screen sharing. Besides being multi-functional, it can enrich all your video and phone calls. The feature can also help you show someone your photos without sharing them.
But let’s also be honest. The screen sharing feature is not as streamlined as it should be. As a result, several users have found themselves in a dilemma because they can’t share their screens using web conferencing and meeting apps, such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or Google Hangouts. To get rid of this problem, you need to determine the exact cause.
This article will look at different screen-sharing problems and fix them. So, if you are having issues sharing your screen, please follow us through the next section.
Common Screen Sharing Problems
1. Graying of the Screen Sharing Option
Sometimes, you may encounter a grayed-out screen sharing option. The situation often occurs when you try to share a screen with a person connected to you. Therefore, to avoid the screen sharing option’s graying, make sure you initiate a voice or video call with the party you want to share the screen.
2. The Screen Share Feature Not Working After Being in a Call
You may also encounter a screen sharing problem even when you are already in a call with the person with whom you want to share a screen. This issue usually occurs when you do not want to connect with the app version that supports screen sharing. To avoid this shortcoming, ensure that both of you are using the latest version of the app.
3. Screen Become Blank or Frozen
When using an app like Skype, your screen may freeze while on the call. In other cases, the person you call may experience the problem, thus preventing you from sharing screens. For this one, insufficient bandwidth is often the culprit. To address this problem, ensure that both of you have enough bandwidth. On top of this, close other applications that may consume your internet bandwidth, causing the screen to go blank.
4. Screen Appear Distorted
The screen may look good on your side, but it may appear distorted on the receiving end. An outdated version of a screen-sharing application and insufficient bandwidth are usually to blame. For this reason, you should ensure the Recipient is running the latest version of the app and has sufficient bandwidth.
5. You Can Share a Screen but the Recipient Can’t
Like issue 4 above, an older version of an app may prevent any party from using the screen sharing feature. If the Recipient can share a screen with you, ask them to install the app’s latest version.
Other Ways to Fix Screen Sharing Problems
Besides the above-recommended solutions, users have fixed their screen sharing problems using the following methods:
Restart Your Device
A restart often resolves most computer problems, including screen sharing issues. If using a Mac, go to the Apple menu and choose Restart. And if you are using a PC, open the Start menu, select the power option and click Restart.
Terminate all Browser Processes and Clear Cache
Sometimes, closing your browser may not be enough to eliminate the screen sharing problem, as it might still operate in the background. To end browser processes, use the Control + Delete + Alt shortcut on your PC or the Quit + Function combination if using a Mac. Besides this, you should also clear your browser cache. The reason is that screen sharing is a graphics-intensive process. So, if you are using an older processor, you may need to get rid of some memory to make room for screen sharing.
Force-Quit Running Applications
Quit all Running Apps, including the app you are trying to share the screen. After that, try using the screen sharing feature again.
Modern apps come with permissions you can control. Sometimes, security permissions might trigger screen-sharing problems. If that is the case, follow these steps to edit permissions:
- Click on the Apple menu, then choose the System Preferences option.
- Navigate to the Security & Privacy section and hit the Privacy tab.
- While there, look for Screen Recording on the left options menu and click on it.
- After that, click on the lock icon at the bottom of the window to edit security permissions.
- You will see several apps with the screen sharing feature listed on the right side of the window. Click on the checkbox next to the app that is giving you trouble.
- To activate the changes, you need to restart the app. usually, a notification window will ask you to do that.
For Windows PCs
To manage permissions for a single app, follow these steps:
- First, go to the Start menu, right-click on the app’s tile and choose More > App Settings.
- Wait for the Settings screen to open, then navigate Settings > Apps > Apps & Features.
- From here, choose the app and click Advanced Options.
- When you scroll down to the App Permissions section, you will see all the app’s permissions. You can then toggle the app permissions to allow access. If you don’t see the App Permissions section, it is most likely the app doesn’t have any permission control.
Besides this, you can also manage permissions for all the apps on your PC. To do this, follow the steps below:
- First, go to Settings > Privacy, then navigate to the App Permissions section.
- Scroll down in the right pane to choose the apps you want to access.
- In the left pane, you will see all the available permissions. If you click on each of them, you will see what that permission does. You can then change permissions for screen sharing.
Clean Up Your Computer
Learning how to speed up your computer can help you resolve most computer hitches. In addition, a computer cleanup will allow you to free up valuable system resources. So, you should delete junk files, such as temporary files, caches, unused applications, and pesky startup items. The good thing is that you can automate this task using Mac and PC repair software tools. You can also do the same to your smartphone using a reputable Android cleaner.
The screen sharing feature can make your life much better when it works. But, sadly, there are countless reasons why you may not use the screen sharing feature effectively. Hopefully, the above recommendations will help you to fix common screen-sharing problems. However, if any of the above solutions don’t solve the issue, consider contacting the app or service’s customer support with a screen sharing problem.