Increasing digitization is posing ever greater challenges for industry and commerce. It covers all areas of modern companies and influences the entire value chain, from purchasing to sales and advertising. However, those who are closed to digitization can miss the connection faster than they would like. The following guidebook article shows you how you can successfully promote your digital marketing in the B2B segment.
B2B digital marketing offers companies a variety of business opportunities
In contrast to traditional advertising in print media and TV, the advertising spends on B2B digital marketing is lower. At the same time, the effects of online advertising can be better measured. This applies to both reach and brand advertising campaigns and marketing activities that are focused on leads and sales.
For an ad in a magazine with a reach of 100,000 readers, advertisers must spend thousands of dollars. With the target-group-specific selection of appropriate online portals, 100,000 calls can be made with significantly less budget. More money has to be invested to measure the success of print or TV campaigns since valid numbers can only be determined by direct surveys.
In addition to the advantages of B2B digital marketing, marketing managers must also consider a few things. The following six digital marketing tips will show you how to avoid common mistakes and make B2B Digital Marketing a success.
1. Consider the online channel as a side event only
Many companies continue to allocate their budgets largely to traditional print and TV advertising domains. They overlook the potential of their own website. The online marketing measures promote not only the own homepage but serve the branding and by the achievement of (in the best case) many prospective customers, the company-own paragraph. According to a marketing study from 2016, the own website with 89% is the most important element for the company presentation – even before the trade fairs.
This results in two consequences for all non-online decision-makers:
- A dedicated website is essential for successful B2B digital marketing, as it is an anchor point for all other online marketing activities.
- The digital sector should always be included when it comes to the external representation of one’s own company as well as new customer acquisition.
1.1 Possible solution
For example, a simple solution is to redistribute the advertising budget. More than half should be invested in online measures. The first priority is your own website. She is the figurehead of the company. Through your site, you can attract new customers and build efficient online marketing.
2. Online marketing without monitoring and KPI
Anyone who has already invested in print or TV advertising will not want to miss a precise evaluation. The expenses for the advertisement are calculated on the basis of extrapolated thousand contact prices (TKP). Whether the advertisement ultimately arrives, one can only guess. The effect of print advertising is even harder to determine, often can be decided here only with estimates of success or failure. As a rule, many opt for success in order to cover up their own planning mistakes.
If this attitude is taken over in the B2B digital marketing, decision-makers give away important potential. The big advantage of digital advertising is the possibility of accurate scaling and evaluation. Every euro invested can be exactly understood.
The evaluation of the collected data on the user behavior on their own website and advertising clicks can serve to optimize their own website and the use of advertising media continuously. This has two other advantages: Your digital advertising will be more targeted and successful, but at the same time cheaper.
2.1 Possible solutions
Invest in the selection of the right analysis solutions at the beginning of your B2B digital marketing. The following tools are available:
- Google Analytics: Google’s free tool gives you important insight into the use of your website and the efficiency of advertising through SEA.
- Piwik: If you do not want to compromise on data protection, you can use this tool for evaluation and save the user data on your own servers. However, there are performance limitations compared to Google Analytics.
- etracker: The fee-based SaaS software provides similar data like Google Analytics, but here by the loading of so-called counting pixels, more accurate information about page views can be generated.
The use of tools in the beginning. Do not forget to continuously evaluate your data. You should create weekly reports that can be used to make further decisions about advertising or website optimization.
3. SEO without targeting the user needs
Search engine optimization (SEO) is unfortunately too often underestimated by decision-makers. Their assessments often bypass reality. Hardly any area of online marketing is developing as fast and continuously as search engine optimization. If the measures at the beginning of the 2000s were actually enough to equip the websites with keywords, search engine optimization today has become much more of a search experience optimization. SEO is now an integral part of all online marketing activities. In this way, companies have the opportunity to rise in the ranking of the search engines (SERPs) and thereby reach more visitors and potential customers.
SEO is not just a means to an end. The focus should always be on the user, because satisfied users ensure that they are in a good position in the ranking because, in the best case, they independently link and distribute the company’s own content.
3.1 Possible solutions
Those who want to successfully pursue SEO today should pay particular attention to the following aspects:
- User experience: The user should be able to easily open a website with any device. In particular, the “Mobile First” strategy applies here. This trend continues unabated, as more and more search queries come from mobile devices.
- OnPage optimization in focus: A successful website is an interaction of functioning technology and high-quality content. The good news: decision-makers have a direct influence on success through OnPage optimization. You can influence all the elements yourself.
- Keyword Focus with a Holistic Approach: The time of focusing solely on keywords is over. The goal should always be to treat each topic as detailed as possible and as short as possible.
4. Neglect content marketing and misuse it as a link exchange program
Content marketing is one of the most important aspects of B2B digital marketing. The idea behind it is that companies can expect greater reach and brand awareness through the dissemination of quality content. For the customer, content with significant added value should be created in order to bind him to the company. Not only is the online presence more frequently visited, sales figures and other conversions are also increasing. In addition, there is the opportunity to establish itself as an expert in niche topics or large subject areas via the web.
However, many responsible for the keyword “content marketing” fall into old ways of thinking. For them, the term consists of quickly assembled texts that are published on any website with the aim to get a backlink.
4.1 Possible solutions
Content marketing is a time-consuming marketing measure. Companies should be aware of this fact. The content must first be produced and then distributed. But every company has a distinct advantage in producing value-added content: It is a specialist in their field. What you need is people who can put these ideas on paper or turn them into blog articles, guest posts or Facebook postings. In order to act sustainably, they should name clear responsible persons and develop a suitable strategy at the beginning.
- Identify your target audience carefully and decide what content you can use to address them.
- Get started with a corporate blog that publishes articles twice a week, as much as possible, with content that will add value to your customers and other users.
- Publish regular press releases on news from your company.
A nice side effect of efficient content marketing is the growing visibility in Google search results. Content marketing is an important part of inbound marketing. This ensures that your customers can actively find you.
5. Consideration of social media
Social media platforms are little considered by German companies in the field of marketing. The social networks have experienced enormous growth rates in recent years.
The survey refers to companies from the B2C sector. B2B decision-makers are often even more critical about the benefits of social media channels. What do likes or shares have to do with the company’s success? But social media is more than just another channel to maintain.
5.1 Possible solutions
If you take a closer look at social media in the B2B area, you will discover the potential of these channels, for example:
- Recruiting: Career portals such as XING or LinkedIn provide excellent opportunities to search for and contact new talent.
- Brand Management: Social media lets you present yourself as an opinion leader and innovator by addressing corporate news or industry-related topics on their channels. Platforms are XING, LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
- Sales: Other decision-makers can be reached directly via social media profiles. By expanding your contact network, you have the opportunity to make important sales contacts.
- Targeting: Advertising on social media platforms can be targeted so you can reach your customers directly.
6. Underestimate mailings
Newsletter marketing is often underestimated. Often these are mere advertising emails without further added value. This is an important content channel: You have received permission from the recipient to contact him via an opt-in. There is, therefore, an interest in why the recipients are to be regarded as potential customers whose needs should be met as precisely as possible.
6.1 Possible solutions
So that your mailings do not fall into mailboxes and spam folders, you should note the following:
- Segment your e-mail recipients and design mailings that are tailored exactly to the recipient and their status (new customer, regular customer, prospective customer).
- Create a topic overview. Your mailings should not consist exclusively of offers. Provide your readers with useful articles about their fields of activity. You offer a free service with the newsletter; this service contributes to your visibility and ultimately to better sales.
There is no question that the B2B sector can no longer manage without B2B digital marketing. Marketing managers and decision-makers should, therefore, be aware of the potential of digitization. As a result, they can avoid mistakes and secure decisive advantages over their competitors. Even though B2B digital marketing often saves costs compared to traditional forms of advertising, online marketing does not mean less work. Thanks to tracking tools, successes can be better understood and errors analyzed. This allows you to continuously improve your digital activities. The reward is a long-term business success in the B2B sector.
Avoid Common B2B Digital Marketing Mistakes
Join Us on LinkedIn